Are you stuck for new content ideas? Are you too busy to research and write new content? Well that is how I feel sometimes, but as with everything in life we don’t always have to start from scratch. We can upcycle and recycle 🙂
By upcycling content, not only do you save time but you also improve your existing content performance, and as a result increase the number of visitors and conversions.
So next time you are stuck for a new content idea, take a look at your old content and see what you can refresh, and improve..
I have recently done just that to my first article on the site.
Identifying Content to Upcycle
When identifying new content to upcycle, you can look at this from two perspectives –
● Does the content generate any traffic?
● Do you feel the content hasn’t done as well as it could have?
This information can all be found within Google Analytics. Find out how to set up simple website performance reports .
Whichever method you use to identify the content to upcycle, you have to think about how you can improve the performance of the piece.
Reviewing the Content
So, having decided which piece of content to Upcycle, how can it be improved?
Firstly we need to identify how the piece is currently performing..
- Does the article rank in search engines? From this information you can identify which keywords are working for you and tailor the content around these keywords in order to further improve rankings.
- How does the article compare with competitors articles? Reviewing the top articles around the topic can help you to identify areas to expand on.
- How long are people staying on the page? Is it enough time to read the content. If your users are exiting the page too early, why do you think they are doing that, and what is missing?
- How many people are reading the article and then going onto view more of your site? If your bounce rate is higher than other content in a format on your site you need to think about how to encourage people to move through the site.
Don’t forget to benchmark the performance of the article against other articles or similar content on your website. Armed with this information you will be able to identify areas to improve.
By improving an article well you can –
- Increase your search engine ranking
- Improve your bounce rate
- Improve the time spent on the page
These improvements will lead to improved visits, enquiries and orders.
If you need help creating a content marketing plan or simply want to identify content to improve thank get in touch for a chat.